Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Blast from the Past: Coming to the First Filipino Children's Forum

I thought I was lucky to have been selected along with other students in Surigao City to attend the First Filipino Children's Forum held at the Manila Hotel on August 28-30, 1996. I was still a 2nd year high school student at the time. Originally from Cavite, I was happy for a chance of a visit back in Luzon after 2 years in Mindanao. This, though, was my first trip without my family with me, although I (we) had someone (a teacher) looking over us. Also, this was my first airplane ride, so, woohoo.

my first airplane ride. Surigao City - Cebu, Cebu - Manila (8/27/96)
Briefing at Caloocan City Hall (Caloocan was CARAGA's sponsor)

Photo Ops with Caloocan City Mayor Rey Malonzo. (apologies for the water damage)


clockwise from left: me, Charlton Feliza (Surigao City Elem. School), Brian Alexis Pelaez (Surigao City Pilot School), Charlene Asido (Caraga Regional Science High School), and Lady Diana Allen Cagas (Surigao City Pilot School)
at the venue (Manila Hotel)
(with  Dr. Sol Matugas, DECS Regional Director)

dinner near Manila Bay somewhere outside Manila Hotel


at the mess hall aboard Sulpicio Lines, going back to Surigao City. (9/2/96)


I came home with bits of memories and a souvenir book, The Manila Hotel by Beth Day Romulo. Up to this day, sadly, I have not read it completely, only browsed through the pictures a couple of times.



No comments: